List of persons conducting the following activities must register on the South African Waste Information System (SAWIS)
in terms of Regulation 5:
Generators of waste
- Generators of hazardous waste in excess of 20kg per day.
Recovery or recycling of waste
- Recovery of energy from general waste (more than 3 tons per day).
- Recovery of waste at facility that has a capacity to process more than 10 tons of general waste per day or more than 500kg of hazardous waste per day.
- The scrapping or recovery of motor vehicles at a facility that has an operational area of more than 500m2.
- Recycling of general waste at a facility that has an operational area of more than 500m2.
- Recycling of hazardous waste (more than 500kg per day) calculated as a monthly average.
Treatment of waste
- Treatment of general waste at a facility that has the capacity to process more than 10 tons of general waste per day or 500 kg of hazardous waste per day excluding the treatment of effluent, waste water or sewage.
- Treatment of hazardous waste at a facility that has the capacity to process ( > 500kg per day).
- Treatment of health care risk waste (HCRW) regardless of size or capacity of the facility.
Disposal of waste
- Disposal of general waste to land at a facility covering an area in excess of 200m2.
- Disposal of any quantity of hazardous waste to land.
Exportation of hazardous waste
- Hazardous waste exported from the Republic of South Africa.
Please note that Waste transporters activities are currently not regulated in terms of the National Waste Information Regulations of 2012 or section 25 of the National Environmental Management: Waste Act, 2008. Registration of these activities on South African Waste Information System (SAWIS) is currently voluntary until the Regulations are amended or Minister issues a Notice in the government gazette in terms of section 25 of the Waste Act. Any waste transporters located in Gauteng and Western Cape must consult with the respective provincial offices as the two provinces have established provincial waste information systems in terms of section 62 of the Waste Act.